POE ASPHALT PAVING INC. WINS NATIONAL AWARD FOR QUALITY IN ASPHALT PAVING
Greenbelt, Md. — The National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) announced today that Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. of Post Falls, Idaho, won a 2021 Quality in Construction Award for excellence in construction of an asphalt pavement. The company was recognized today during the association’s 67th Annual Meeting.
“The asphalt pavement industry is committed to building high-quality projects that deliver superior performance to the traveling public. All contractors’ projects earning a Quality in Construction award are measured against best practices designed to live up to that commitment,” said 2021 NAPA Chairman James Winford. “Earning the Quality in Construction Award demonstrates that Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. has met or exceeded these rigorous standards.”
- Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. won the award for its work on Bigelow Gulch Road in Spokane, Wash. This project, part of the improvement of the Bigelow Gulch corridor, included the widening of the road from two to four lanes with a center turn lane. The company placed varying lift depths of hot mix asphalt surface on the milled pre-existing surface and on the newly constructed base. Using a material transfer device for paving consistency, Poe Asphalt Paving produced a smooth, high-quality asphalt pavement.
- Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. won the award for its work on SH 13 in Grangeville, Idaho. The project included deep spot repair and a 2-lift overlay of hot mix asphalt. The company had different crews working on different aspects of the project, so keeping traffic moving was essential. The project team also had to work cooperatively to deal with a shortage of concrete. The company overcame all obstacles to produce a smooth, high-quality asphalt pavement.
- Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. won the award for its work on Evergreen Road in Spokane Valley, Wash. The company patched the road, milled it and then placed a .25-inch hot mix asphalt overlay on it. Construction took place in multiple phases since the road carries heavy traffic, and Poe Asphalt Paving used two pavers to pave half the roadway at a time to minimize inconvenience to motorists. Because of record-setting heat, crews worked 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. in order to produce a smooth, high-quality asphalt pavement.
- Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. won the award for its work at Pullman Moscow Regional Airport in Washington state. The company constructed a new taxiway with 14 taxi lanes, using a binder course that included 20% reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP). This sustainable approach conserves virgin resources and reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Through coordination with the general contractor and all of the subcontractors, Poe Asphalt Paving produced a safe, smooth and extremely durable asphalt taxiway.
- Poe Asphalt Paving Inc. won the award for the its work on four miles of Harrington Tokio Road in Lincoln County. Working on a five-day schedule, the company milled the road and then resurfaced it with 0.2-inch Superpave hot mix asphalt. Becaue of the weather, Poe Asphalt Paving took special precautions, such as tarping every load of asphalt, to ensure that the mixes remained at a constant temperature. It also used a material transfer device to remix the hot mix asphalt, a heated vibrated screed and additional rollers to produce a smooth asphalt pavement of consistent quality and density.
The National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) is the only trade association that exclusively represents the interests of the asphalt producer/contractor on the national level with Congress, government agencies, and other national trade and business organizations. NAPA supports an active research program designed to improve the quality of asphalt pavements and paving techniques used in the construction of roads, streets, highways, parking lots, airports, and environmental and recreational facilities. The association provides technical, educational, and marketing materials and information to its members; supplies product information to users and specifiers of paving materials; and conducts training courses. The association, which counts more than 1,100 companies as members, was founded in 1955.
Poe Asphalt was founded in 1953. Since then the company has grown with locations in Clarkston, Wash.; Pullman, Wash.; and Post Falls, Idaho. The family-owned company thrives on their core values of integrity, support, progress and excellence.
Their award-winning work is seen throughout the Inland Northwest. Poe offers chip sealing, residential paving, highway paving and industrial services.
Poe Asphalt Paving