Poe Asphalt was founded in 1953. The company, under the direction of Ernie Poe, operated by the name of Asphalt Paving Company until 1962, at which time Ernie’s son Don took over the company. As Poe Asphalt Paving, Inc., the company laid 4,500 tons of hot mix that year, with five employees, a small batch plant and two end dumps.
In 1963 the company purchased its first portable plant and expanded their market base. The company continued with steady growth through the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.
In 1992, Don’s son, Mark was named President and CEO for the company. In 1999 Poe Asphalt began serving the Coeur d’Alene/Spokane market, joining other base plants that serve the Lewiston /Clarkston, Moscow/Pullman, and Grangeville communities.